Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Adventures in exploration

So I decided that every month I wanted to try one new thing. Something that should challenge me. Something that I KNOW is good for me, and that will maybe make me a little healthier.
I read about all these people who have great things going for them, and do great activities, and I realized that I have mastery over very little. While that isn't necessarily a bad thing--I know that there is always someone better, and/or another level to strive for--I can't think of anything that is really my "thing." I want to discover what I might want to try and practice in my life. 
 
This months adventure is going to be Bikram yoga,  aka hot yoga, aka crazy-me thought she was fit and could perform athletic feats in a sauna and wanted to try a SINGLE class but only found a 30 day membership, so of course I'm going to go more than once, cause why waste the money yoga.

If you can't tell, the first class was killer.  I am currently sitting on my couch, 3 hours after the class, slowly feeling my muscles tighten up, and fighting to keep my eyes open.  During? It was like the best drug I've never had.  I was alert, super aware of all my muscles, and could feel every weird emotion, food, and stress dripping out of my pores as I struggled through the poses.  But you know what? I didn't give up.  And I am damn proud of myself.  Yes, I took a few breaks on my mat, but I didn't leave the room, and I kept getting up and trying the next sequence.  The affirmation and intention for this studio is "Support" and it shows.  I was welcomed, made to feel like I belonged, and the class freaking clapped for me before our last savasana.  I can't wait to go back, and I can't wait to figure out how to make the people in my life feel like I felt tonight.  

Wish me luck.
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment